Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Tribute to Little Alec

It is with great sadness that I post that my tiny companion, Alec, passed away suddenly yesterday, September 16th, as the result of what the vet called a "spontaneous pneumothorax," or a small hole in his lung that allowed air to fill his chest cavity and prevented him from breathing properly. After several procedures lasting several hours, it became evident tiny Alec, as tough and scrappy a dog as there ever was, would not be able to overcome his condition. And so with great sadness but a determination he would not suffer, the decision was made to humanely put Alec to sleep.

I shall miss my tiny companion.

Each morning as I left for work I had to pick up my little sight hound and toss him on the stairs and dart out the front door. Alec responded to his human abandoning him by howling for 3-5 minutes before settling down on the 8th stair to await my return.

I have no doubt Alec moved about during the day but without fail, when I walked up to the front door and peered through the window, Alec could be standing on the 8th stair, carefully balancing on his back two legs with his tail wagging!

Upon opening the door I would always be greeted by our other two dogs, a Biggie Iggie named Berkeley and our mix, Angel. Alec would always muscle his way to me and jump as high as he could demanding to be picked up. I shall miss Alec's daily greeting upon my return.

As I type this I am reminded of Alec's normal location when I have to work on my computer. Alec sat in my lap either sound asleep or standing and peering at the computer screen.

Despite being an older Iggy, Alec on a good day was as full of mischief as a puppy. When caught Alec displayed the time honored ability of every Iggy to look innocent, even when standing in the middle of the garbage he had just overturned.

Perhaps what I will miss most is waking up in the morning and feeling Alec resting comfortably under my right arm with his chin resting on my shoulder and his big Iggy eyes watching me, waiting for me to get up and let him and his canine companions outside.

Here's to Alec and all the Iggies like him who make our lives so much better for having our tiny companions share life with us.

Alec and his little friend and one of our former fosters, Lucky.

2 comments:

  1. I remember when your family decided to adopt little Alec in June of 2008. Such a happy day that was. When this tiny boy came into rescue he was only 6 pounds and had many medical issues. Your family worked a miracle with him and gave him unconditional love and the safe home he deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started reading your blog because I love Iggies... So sad to hear that Alec passed away

    Congrats for the blog... You sound like an awesome person

    lol

    ReplyDelete